Interesting Error with VirtualDub

Uchiha Sasuke

Alright so here is the situation. I have a certain set of captures that for whatever reason appeared fine when played in things like Windows Media player, VLC, and Media player classic. However, because of the gigantic file sizes, I need to of course edit them and convert them to another file type. This normally would never be an issue for me to do, but those certain caps are displaying a weird issue when I put them into VirtualDub. The capture just shows a blank screen throughout it's entirety. Also, when i convert them to the file type I normally use when I post to the site, the blank screen appears on them. Has anyone else run into this specific problem?

B

BillyOG

You need to update your vdub codecs by the sound of it

Although vdub has great versatility, it can be a total pain sometimes, similar to avisynth

Try using an alternative editing program like videoredo tv suite v4 or leawo VC , edit&convert in one pass with batch with custom profiles and I've never had any issues with either of them in regards to codecs or black screens. Or use Handbrake to batch convert into your posting format then use vdub.

Uchiha Sasuke

Thanks Othello and Billy. I will try that immediately as I am itching to get a few of these caps out into the wild and out of my hard drive.

Uchiha Sasuke

Alright so I am trying conversions and VDub is still being picky. To be honest I think the way the video was coded has something to do with it since it can play in all media players completely fine. Also, if it helps at all with anyone to help me figure this out, I normally use hypercam software for all of my captures. Two separate computers are utilized for simultaneous caps, so the one I am currently working with where all my recent captures are coming from is totally fine. I'll keep at it, but if anyone thinks of anything please let me know.

E

Edge_

What probably happens is that the codec used isn't properly registered with VFW. Since you mentioned HyperCam, I assume it's not a filter/PIN problem like when trying to edit MP4 AVC1 video in VDub, but it might be. In any case instead of trying to figure out what's really going on, if you can play it in VLC you can most likely use AviSynth to frameserve it to VDub. Just download and install AviSynth (it's not intrusive like installing a whole codec pack who wreaks havoc with your filter graph chain) and create a text file ending in .avs. Put, on one line, "DirectShowSource("filename.ext")", save it, and open *that* in VDub instead.

Note that AviSynth is an excellent way to fix up broken frame rates, do high-quality resizing (although VDub's own bicubic is decent) and so on. There is also a plugin for AviSynth called FFVideoSource that works exactly like DirectShowSource but uses libavcodec from FFmpeg without having to install FFDShow or anything else system-wide, which means that if it plays in VLC, you can frameserve it with AviSynth to VDub.

I do a lot of stuff in Premiere and AE so I have to have my filter graphs in order, AviSynth is my go-to solution to quickly frameserve things when I don't want to install a codec pack.

E.