VPN are they safe to use and if so a recommendation Please

cmfriend

Hi i am not real familiar with a VPN. I was hope to get some insight info they are needed? Also if they are safe to use can you recommend one to use? Thank You

wizard

Firstly, it depends of what you are going to use VPN for?

If you are planning only to unblock access to some sites and/or unblock some video streaming services by faking your country of origin (changing IP) like Netflix for example than most of the popular VPN services will do the job for you. Just google for some recommendations and you will not mistake. Pay attention to if they have any limitation of speed and/or bandwith you are allowed to spend per month. However, if you are planning to do some let's say "underground" activities you will need a lot more to investigate. I am not familiar with it but what I have been reading is that the most important question is if VPN services are keeping logs or not. As far as it is known, many of them state that they do not keep logs making your activities 100% anonymous but that is not the case.

Secondly, it depends of your common habbits of how you use Internet.

If you prefer to stay logged into mail, social accounts, forums and other services you might want to consider finding an VPN that has Firefor addon or Chrome extension and this is why. As soon as you change your network settings globally (change IP) most of the named services above might temporarily block your access because they will detect unusual or suspicious activity. What you will have to hassle with is to send confirmation codes they will be sending to you in order to regain access.

The best and painless thing to do is to download portable version of browser (i do have Chrome) and add extension of your VPN provider to it. By doing that you will be able to simply switch IP within that particular browser not affecting anything else. I am using ZenmateVPN (got it from a friend) and I am very pleased with it so that would be my recommendation. Yet, I haven't tried many others so they might be some even better/cheaper.

As an alternative solution you might want to try Opera browser. I believe it has built in VPN service but I have no idea how it works and how good it is.

Happy surfing, wizard :)

beastieboy9

I've used Mullvad (Swedish based) for a couple of years. No complaints and not too expensive, about 5 Euros a month.